Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog has just eaten a plastic ring about 1 and a half inches

Customer Question

my dog has just eaten a plastic ring about 1 and a half inches in diameter, what can I do please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Smudge. In a situation like this, if this was a case at my ER clinic, I would talk to the owner about the risks with that being in the intestinal tract. Could it pass? Could it become obstructed? If this was just eaten, then I would most likely induce vomiting to try and get it up. If it is vomited up, then the situation is resolved. Could it not be vomited up? That is possible. If that happens, then the situation likely becomes one where the case is observed for possible signs of a blockage - vomiting, abdominal discomfort or loss of appetite / drinking for over 24 hours. As far as vomiting, at my ER I can give an IV injection of a very reliable drug called apomorphine. It would be best to get to your vet to let them do this. If a vet isn't available, some owners can try to induce vomiting at home with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Here is a link on it.http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs