Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My Dog has lymphoma and has been on perdnislone daily

My Dog has lymphoma and has been on perdnislone daily for a couple of months and the report after his biopsy showed no signs of tumors or troublee with his liver and it was considered not to give any other treatment than cortisone. He our .has been eating well and almost back to his usual self. Today he has been sick and brought up his food and after that was sick three times just frothy stuff a very small quantity. His jobs are very normal.
My Vet who has been looking after him is away so I thought I would ask your advice.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Cedar's vomiting. Up till the vomiting here today, he's been doing pretty well with his lymphoma? How long ago was his first vomit? How long ago was the last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cedar has been vomiting after his evening meal which came up whole. since then ha has been sick just a little frothy stuff three times.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Due to time zone differences, how long ago was that first vomit? Has he had any change in his prednisolone dose / frequency?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First vomit half one hour after his food. Then about every two hours frothy stuff only small quantity.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. Vomiting is a sign of potentially a lot of things. Have his stools been normal? They haven't been black or bloody?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His stools have been completely normal and were about one hour ago. Could this all be totally unrelated to the lymphoma.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'll be honest and say that acute vomiting isn't the strongest suspicion for an issue / problem with his current lymphoma situation. Typically when dogs have lymphoma and they start to come out of remission, they will get more down and dumpy, slow down, not eat as well, loose weight, etc.. They don't typically all of a sudden start to vomit. More suspect for the acute vomiting would be eating something that didn't agree with him. Eating something that possible become a blockage could also be a reason. Could there be some other issue like a liver or kidney issue? Those would be brought up too. Overall though, probably the best case scenario would be vomiting due to eating something that didn't agree with him. IN these situations, pulling food and water for 6-8 hours may let the stomach rest and let things get back to normal. Obviously if the vomiting continues despite this, he's getting down and dumpy, or he's acting painful - then things are not responding and getting him to an ER clinic would be strongly recommended.