Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Our greyhound has food ( possibly a piece of denti stick )

Customer Question

Our greyhound has food ( possibly a piece of denti stick ) stuck in his throat . He can neither swallow it or get it back up . He doesn't seem to be in pain but it is causing discomfort as he keeps swallowing hard to dislodge it . Does he need to be seen by a vet ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Jay. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I know this can be a scary situation. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi , thanks for responding promptlyStuart
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Glad you're there, Stuart...(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
A couple of initial thoughts...A trip to the vet is always the safest bet, but it may not be necessary.A dog *might* act this way if the piece of food or denti-stick went down, but caused some damage and irritated the esophagus on it's way down.If it truly is stuck and blocking the esophagus, I would expect a lot of drooling, because even the saliva he is producing can't get down. Try offering some food, water, and mild exercise, and let me know how he does. I'll be standing by...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Certainly no excessive drooling , he may have done some damage as he's eats fast like a lot of greyhounds . He can drink ok and has had a little food also . We will continue to monitor
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Everything you're describing makes it sound like it just did some damage on the way down, but made it into the stomach. Some things to consider...(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Esophageal damage can cause some pretty severe problems, so if you see symptoms of a problem, it's better to take action sooner rather than later. Some vets have the capability to do endoscopy and can look at the lining of a dog's esophagus for erosions and ulcers. Signs of a problem include:refusal to eat or drinkexcessive droolingpain upon swallowingvomitingWe have to also consider the possibility that he may now have a piece of Denti-bone in his stomach that is too large to pass. If that's the case, appetite loss and vomiting are the most common symptoms. Sometimes a piece like this can be retrieved with an endoscope; other times surgery is necessary. At least right now Jay is showing no signs of more serious problems. If it were still in his esophagus, he wouldn't be able to eat and drink... the food or water would bounce right back up. Does this help to answer your question for now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes , thank you . We will keep a close eye on him and his food intake over the next couple of days to make sure he gets back to his normal self .Thanks again Stuart .
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Happy to help. Glad it sounds like things are okay for now. If you're satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response so I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you, ***** ***** of luck to you and Jay!
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how Jay is doing today.Thanks!Dr. Jo