Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 15 1/2 year old ***** ***** has suffered with cushings

My 15 1/2 year old ***** ***** has suffered with cushings disease for six years and is taking 20mg of Vetoryl daily, she has a skin growth on her back leg, for which she has had a biopsy, and due to her health problems her vet has decided that surgery is not an option, and to try and shrink the growth her vet has prescribed Isaderm gel, however on reading the leaflet in the gel I note that it is a corticosteroid preparation which I understood could be harmful to my dog due to her cushings, can you please confirm whether or not my understanding is correct. Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. You're very fortunate that Tilly's Cushing's Disease has been so well controlled for this number of years; as you probably know, this isn't the norm for most patients with this condition.You're absolutely correct that Isaderm contains steroids (Betamethasone). And, while the concentration isn't terribly high, we typically try to avoid the use of ophthalmic or topical medications which might contain steroids. Unfortunately, I've not been terribly successful in reducing the size of masses or growths but perhaps your vet's experience has been different. I hope this helps. DebIn a situation such as this, the benefits would have to be weighed against the risks of use of this particular product.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Deb, in view of Tilly's age and health, she also has a heart murmur as well as Cushings, I truly believe that the risk of aggravating her Cushings outweighs any possible benefits in respect of the growth, which I understand is a mixed cell inflammation, thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Under the circumstances, I'd have to agree with you. I wouldn't want to do anything which might potentially cause harm.Best of luck with her. Kindest regards, Deb