Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog who is a 10 yr old bichon tore his cruciate

Hi my dog who is a 10 yr old bichon tore his cruciate ligament Friday in his right leg, we attended our vets who did X-rays etc with a view to doing surgery this Wednesday, he had the same surgery approx 2 years ago on hie left leg,
We are a little concerned about the surgery due to age etc and have read alot of reviews etc on line about whether surgery is the right way to go
Since Friday ozzy seems to using the leg slightly easier where as last time he was not able to use at all even after totally resting for about week
What are your views?? and if you think surgery is the right action would delaying until after christmas harm ozzy further??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!
I am so sorry to hear that you are having to make this decision on Ozzy's other leg. Unfortunately the risk of tearing the other leg within 1-2 years of the first tear is very very common and I would say 8/10 of these we deal with this is the case.
With a dog his size you can definitely elect to try pain management for 1-2 weeks to see if he is more comfortable. If he were a 75 pound dog then surgery would be the most viable option but with his size pain management which can include pain medications, acupuncture, laser therapy can be a viable option and if he is unable to get comfortable then you know you have tried this route and are more comfortable moving forward with surgery.
I understand his age is a concern for you but really we do surgery on dogs 10+ years old regularly and it can be an issue that you have to consider more related to cost than the risks with surgery and his age
I hope this makes sense but please let me know anything else I can assist you both with today to help aid in your decisions on how to proceed with Ozzy
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the speedy response, cost is really not the issue we just want the best for ozzy as we can remember the post op care being quite traumatic for him
Another issue ozzy has is kidney stones which he has had for several years and have just been monitored by vet at annual check ups etc
Touch wood these have not caused him any problems however they have suggested doing this surgery at same time again what are your views??
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I would be hesitant to do an abdominal surgery at the same time as an orthopedic surgery in any situation but that also lengthens his anesthetic time quite a bit, removing stones can be 30-60 additional minutes under anesthesiaThe reason for the hesitancy is that due to sterility issues most surgeons would much prefer one cavity being opened at a time, for example if you are doing an abdominal surgery you don't typically want to do an oral surgery the same day because it increases risk of infection.If he were my patient I would not advise doing both at the same time advisePlease let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.