Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has a little red lump on his paw. It's about 1cm in

Customer Question

My dog has a little red lump on his paw. It's about 1cm in diameter and it's a little bumpy. It's a little hard. It doesn't seem to bother him until we mess with it, then he starts licking it, but doesn't cry in pain (he's a cry baby so if it hurt a little he'd definitely let us know).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload a photo of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see attached. He was just groomed a week ago and the groomer didn't notice it.
Thank you! This is highly suggestive of a cutaneous histiocytoma - a rapidly growing but benign growth composed of cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells (terrific cocktail party talk...). These reach a certain size - this one isn't likely to get much bigger - and then crumble away unaided within 12 weeks. Applying an over the counter hydrocortisone cream thrice daily might hasten its demise. Observation without treatment is reasonable. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We feel much better now.
You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.