nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog managed to open box of almost full quality street and

My dog managed to open box of almost full quality street and has eaten them plus the wrappers about 2 hours ago. Have taken him out for walk and he's had diarrhoea three times. He's now asleep. Can you advise me on what to do? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much does he weigh?
What size box was it?
Has he had any gagging, vomiting, or appetite loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs about 11kgs
500g box of chocolates but not entirely full
No gagging vomiting or appetite loss so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's had diarrhoea
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Now the diarrhea is not unexpected. The toxin that dogs react to in chocolate often causes diarrhea and nausea/vomiting. Furthermore, if he has had even half a box, this is a severe toxicity risk. And further to GI upset, we could see changes in breathing, heart rate, tremors and even seizures over the next 36 hours.
With that in mind, if it has been 2 hours, we are getting past a stage where inducing vomiting will be of benefit. That said, since he ate them with the wrappers, there is a chance that they haven't all been absorbed yet. Therefore, we can try now. To induce vomiting, you can use soda crystals. You just want to take a small handful, mix it with water to make a paste, roll that into a ball, and put this right in the back of the throat for him to swallow. This usually will trigger vomiting.
If it doesn't or you do not have soda crystals on hand, then you can have him seen urgently by your local ER vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
As well or alternatively (as this can help even after 2 hours), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
After the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and reduce his diarrhea load.
Finally, if you don't have the above or he worsens and you did need to get him seen locally, you can do so. Veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. Even if closed, they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/)who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get him checked out sooner then there are options to have him now if need be.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You've not replied
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I actually did already do so about 10 minutes before. Just in case you cannot see what I said, I will post it again now -->
All the best, *****