nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog (elderly poodle) had an abscess which burst on his face

My dog (elderly poodle) had an abscess which burst on his face (suspect tooth) on Christmas eve. I've bathed it and left it open ...all has drained. I clipped the hair away and I've given him some antibiotics noroclav 250mg x 2 and metacam which I've had left over from previous vet treatment. Ive also used betadine to clean. He is also wearing a collar so he can't touch it. He is very well in himself.. eating .. drinking etc. But the wound this morning looks quite alarming. It looks large but is no longer draining. Can a vet do anymore (it's now boxing day), shall I leave open or cover with gauze and crepe bandage? Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Ruptured abscesses often look worse before they look better and your treatment has been spot on here. You have done everything a vet would do today and as long as its not actively bleeding, we would likely just need to monitor this as we continue treatment. As well, the buster collar is perfect since we want this open to the air and not covered (as that would lock in warmth/moisture and let the bacteria fester).
So, while I would welcome you posting a photo so that I can see what you are seeing (To post one, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek), it sounds like you are doing everything we'd do and there'd not be additional steps a vet would take today (especially as we don't want to close infected tissue at this stage).
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi... hope you can see the photo!
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I can see the wound and actually it looks good all things considered. It is dramatic but you have cleaned it well. Since there is an abscess as our root issue, a vet would treat the infection first for a few days and then if this remains gaping (doesn't granulate in and shrink down over the next few days), then we'd want to stitch it closed. So, as today is Boxing day, you can keep as you are and plan to have your lad checked by his vet once they are open (and I'd note that some vets are open today and tomorrow, so you can ring to see if yours is).
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Should I carry on with the betadine and warm salt water or leave it to dry out? Also is 250mg twice a day sufficient dose or shall I increase? Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I would keep flushing the wound to reduce bacterial population and you can pat it dry after. In regard to the dose, what is his weight so I can check the dose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just weighed him and he is 10kg. Shall I continue with betadine after flushing?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If he is 10kg, then the dose is fine to use. So, we don't need to change that. In regards ***** ***** Betadine, you can keep using it but if you are flushing with salt water 2-3 times daily then that should be enough here.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
Keep up the good work & happy holidays,
Dr. B.