nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has got diarrhea and has been sick and is very listless he

My dog has got diarrhea and has been sick and is very listless
he hasn'r eaten since yesterday afternoon, Can you please advise.?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What does his vomit and diarrhea look like? Any blood?
Can he keep water down?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vomit - more like yellow water. Diarrhea is more like creamy colour liquid.Yes, he can keep water down. His gums are pinkish
and a bit sticky. No discomfort of any sort in his belly. The only time he could have picked anything up would be when out walking. He just doesn't seem to have any energy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that there is no blood anywhere
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
As we can all appreciate, having upper and lower GI upset at the same time can make anyone (dog or person) feel very poorly. Therefore, Herbie's being lethargic isn't a surprise here. That said, we do need to tread with care if those gums are getting a bit sticky since that is a sign that dehydration is creeping in (often what taps their energy and makes them feel unwell).
Now if there is a chance he has eaten something harmful, then it'd be ideal to consider having him seen urgently. Otherwise, if that is less likely, we'd need to consider that this could be a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or general dietary indiscretion (if he has had a bit much over the holiday).
With this all in mind, as long as he likely hasn't had anything dangerous and since he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp ever 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.
If he can keep that down and is more settled afterwards, we can then start him on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.
Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).
Finally, since Herbie has no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI..
Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Since he is feeling poorly with this, we do want to be careful with him. So, you can start the above now but if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated when you check those other parameters, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )