How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 15138
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Rebecca is online now

My dog has eaten a caramel chocolate tart. She's a small dog.

Resolved Question:

My dog has eaten a caramel chocolate tart. She's a small dog. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How much does your dog weigh? What kind of chocolate was in the tart, do you know? Milk chocolate is not as toxic as dark chocolate. A small amount of milk chocolate likely will not harm her, but a large amount of dark chocolate can be serious. Can you estimate how much chocolate she actually got? If she just did this less than an hour ago, you can try to get her to vomit with hydrogen peroxide. Put it in some milk or ice cream; it works best if taken with food. Again, I need her weight to give you a safe dose of peroxide if you have some on hand. If she is 5 pounds, I would give her 1/2 teaspoon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weights 10kg. She ate it this morning at 11 at the latest. It was dark chocolate and I can only guess it was 150g in weight for the tart she ate but I don't know how much of that was chocolate.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
So you can give 1 to 2 teaspoons of peroxide if you want to try inducing vomiting. I am in the western US and it is 6 AM here; how long ago was 11 AM there? More than an hour ago? Lets guess that the tart was 25 % chocolate (which is high). Then she got about 37g of dark chocolate. At that dose, we would see vomiting and diarrhea, but not the more serious symptoms of rapid heart rate and tremors. If it was less than 25% chocolate, then you may not even see that. So it does not sound like she got enough to really harm her, if the tart was 150g.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 3 hours ago. She seems fine, no rapid heart beat and no vomiting or diarrhoea but much better safe than sorry
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Don't try inducing vomiting; too long ago. If she is not vomiting after 3 hours, then she may not have any problems with the amount of chocolate she ate. Keep monitoring her, check to be sure her gums are pink and that she is eating and drinking normally, but likely you will not see any problems. Let me know how she is doing and if you have any more questions. Kindly consider rating my answer, so the website knows I helped you today. You can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I hope the rest of Boxing Day goes well for you and her.
Rebecca and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, you've been very kind and helpful, have a merry Boxing Day
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You, too! Unfortunately here in the US it is a work day for me; at least only a half day since it is Saturday! Thanks for the great rating.