Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Our dog had a chest infection - the vet have him antibiotics

Customer Question

Our dog had a chest infection - the vet have him antibiotics and it cleared up. He then gave him kennel cough vaccination- nasal - and a few days later he has developed a terrible cough. He sounds like a duck. He is eating drinking with plenty energy. The vets are all shut as its Christmas. I suspect it's kennel cough contracted from the vaccination with his immune system depressed by the antibiotics and it will clear. My wife is worried sick. Any advice on what to do is welcome.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I agree with you. You've described the common adverse effect from that nasal vaccine. That doesn't occur due to immunosuppression by antibiotics but, instead, the appropriate local immune response to the vaccine in the nasal passage(s). I have to question the advisability of giving such a vaccine following a respiratory infection. How long has it been since the last of the antibiotics were administered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10 days ago +- 1 day.
He started this 3 or 4 days ago.
He has no adverse symptoms apart from this terrible cough and associated wheezing and bring up some froth very occasionally after a bad bout. He seems happy and wants out - but it's cold and wet so we're keeping him in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh - the chest infection had just cleared according to the vet when he was given the vaccine. His poops were a bit runny then soft but are now A OK
Thank you for the additional information. My concern was the possibility of a recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) of the chest infection rather than a vaccine reaction but that appears to be unlikely because he's otherwise well. The inflammation in his upper respiratory tract is going to be transient; his cough/wheeze shoud abate within a week. Unfortunately, there's nothing of value over the counter for Deano. I treat badly affected dogs with a short course of an antiinflammatory steroid such as prednisone. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a some lexicom anti inflammatory - enough for 3 days till the vet opens - will be give him that then take him for a check up on Tuesday? Also - should we keep him out the wet, or would he better with a walk?
The meloxicam is a good idea. It should be helpful by reducing the inflammation in his respiratory tract. Yes, it's best to avoid inclement weather when such inflammation exists. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent. Much appreciated!
Will let you know how it goes. Off to inflict some emotional turmoil - he hates it!
Thank you for your kind words and accept. I appreciate it.
I'll watch for your next post.