Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My chihuahua has eaten a lindor chocolate. What should I d

Customer Question

my chihuahua has eaten a lindor chocolate. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
It's unlikely that you need to do anything but have a world with Sookie. It takes ~ 2 ounces of solid milk chocolate per kg of body weight or ~ 2/3 of an ounce of solid dark chocolate per kg of body weight for Sookie to become intoxicated with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause agitation, tremors, vomiting, and even seizures if ingested in sufficient amounts. Please let me know how much Sookie weight]s and how much you would estimate that piece of chocolate to weigh and whether it contained milk, dark, or especially dark (70-80% cocoa) chocolate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chocolate weighs 1/4 ounce. Sookie weighs 3 kg. The chocolate is milk chocolate.
Thank you! A 3 kg Sookie would need to ingest ~6 ounces of milk chocolate to be worrisome. He should do nicely although transient GI distress (inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea) is always possible after ingesting such an unusual food. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.