Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Male beagle. In a lot of pain going up stairs or onto higher

Male beagle. In a lot of pain going up stairs or onto higher objects like sofa or bed. He is ok walking on level or downstairs. Pain seems to be coming from his lower back. Trouble peeing and generally very unhappy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear Buddy is not feeling well. Can you please tell me what pain medication you have used (and mg), his weight so I can determine if there are any adjustments we can make to see if we can get him comfortable? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
My primary concern is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy. Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on stronger medication than what you have available to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.I have had great success with alternative pain management such as acupuncture and laser or light therapy... You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it. If you need to pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cannot get an evaluation from my vet until Tuesday as they are closed. Should I contact an emergency vet.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me where she is on the pain assessment sheet below? If she is a 2 or higher then yes please consider a veterinary er for her today...http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would say 2
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Then I would consider a veterinary er unfortunately to get him comfortable. I would hate for this to continue for a 2-3 day period without any relief for him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been like this for 3 days over the Christmas period so dont want to wait any longer, will get in touch with emergency vet.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I think that is a wise decision, poor little guy!Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I would also love an update when you are able once you return home to know he is comfortable if you are able?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, best wishes to you both truly