Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a shitzu who is 25 weeks old. She is house trained

I have a shitzu who is 25 weeks old.
She is house trained until approximately 10 days ago. She keeps pooing in the house as well as outside, doing up to 6 poos a day.
It is very soft but not runny.
She is not I'll in herself.
She is 5.5 kilos in weight and is fed on dry food.
Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry Poppy is having this issue! Unfortunately I have been through it myself with my little dogs and truly do understand your frustrations. First, we need to have your veterinarian run a fecal evaluation to ensure there is not a medical cause of the stool consistency that needs to be addressed.Other steps to take include:- Increase the fiber in her diet, reducing her dog food 25% and supplement with cooked white rice +/- canned pumpkin which are both great sources of fiber and increase urgency so that she is more aware of the fact she has to go- Leash walks 15+ minutes for now three times daily if you are able to aid in emptying her digestive tract, preferably 30+ minutes after meals. Walking increases gi motility, helps increase the urge to defecate especially after a high fiber meal which gives the sensation of feeling full- Keeping her isolated in the house to one room while not being attended to (or a kennel/ crate ideally). If you suspect she has to go and doesn't go while outside then please return her to the smaller area and try again in 15 minutes. Often when enclosed in a small area dogs will not want to go to the bathroom in that area and risk walking through it but also keeps your home clean of the accidents.Hopefully this gives you some guidelines of things to work on with Poppy but I would still advise a veterinary fecal evaluation. She doesn't necessarily need to be seen unless your veterinarian requires it but just evaluating the stools for any causes of the change in stool consistency.Please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!