Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Labrador cross, appx 8 years old (he's a rescue) has a swollen

Customer Question

My Labrador cross, appx 8 years old (he's a rescue) has a swollen belly, hot nose and ears and has been retching. He is overweight and did get hold of Turkey carcass. We believe we got hold of it from him before he swallowed small bones.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since he ate the turkey? 2- How long has he had the swollen belly? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Is he behaving uncomfortable or restless? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 hours since having the turkey
Swollen belly for about 6 hours
He is retching - no other symptoms though
He is listless, but, this isn't totally unusual as he is normally on the lazy side.
He has had a reduced appetite since before Christmas
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How much does he weigh? 2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appx 10 stone
His gums are pink and healthy looking
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see acute swelling of the abdominal cavity we need to be concern about: A bloat (GDV), fluid in the abdomen secondary to low protein, a foreign body (turkey bones??), tumors, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. Most the diseases mentioned above could have a fatal outcome if not treated early; for this reason best to not wait. If you do not have access ER vet start him on Gas X (simethicone) 200mg every 6-8 hours. You can buy simethicone over the counter in any pharmacy. Remove the food and water. Follow up in the morning with family vet for a hands on examination and xrays. Additional treatment will be based on exam and test results. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter