Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My sister's black Labradoor is diabetic. My sister is away

Customer Question

My sister's black Labradoor is diabetic. My sister is away in Tenerife with her a family and has a friend is at her house looking after the dog. The friend has just rang me to say that there is something seriously wrong with the dog - he said his front legs have just gone from under him and he's lying on his side. We don't know what to to. I asked the friend if he had been giving the dog the insulin at the right time and he said he had - although he was about 20 mins late giving the shot this morning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
This isn't something that your sister's friend can manage at home. He needs to have the dog attended to by its vet at his earliest convenience. If your sister is unavailable, you can see if you can call the dog's vet hospital to give permission for the vet to attend to your sister's dog. 20 minutes is inconsequential. There's a good chance that the dog's behavior is unrelated to his diabetes. Front leg paresis (weakness) or paralysis suggests brain or cervical (neck) disorders and prompt attention to these can make a significant difference in his prognosis.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.