Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has loads of scabs on him

My dog has loads of scabs on him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he itchy? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- How often are you bathing him? 4- Can the scabs slough off the skin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes
2 5 weeks or so
3 I don't
4 it's dry and can be picked away leaving a wet bloody patch
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bother ta
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a skin bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma). Untreated this can progress to a deep pyoderma, for this reason it is important that he is seen by a veterinarian to start him on oral antibiotics. In the meantime bath him 2-3 times a weeks for 2 weeks with a shampoo called chlorhexiderm (chlorhexidine), you can buy this over the counter in any pet store. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.