nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Sure my dog has swallowed plastic

sure my dog has swallowed plastic
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much?
How long ago?
Any sharp edges on it?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I have not heard back from you and as time is ticking, I do want to leave my thoughts and a plan of action for you to take with Kleo
Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care. Since this material tends to be quite rigid and sharp (therefore a high risk of causing gut damage and blockage), I have to say that the best option here would be to have her seen by the local ER vet urgently so that they can use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove as much of this as possible. That way we can reduce the potential for harm here.
Otherwise, if that is not an option, we can start some supportive care while monitoring her. In regards ***** ***** options, to start, since we have a sharp edged item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any damage caused by this moving through the GI. To do so, I would suggest feeding her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.
Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.
While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.
Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on Kleo. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she has passed the material without bother. But any of those signs and she'd need to be seen by her vet urgently.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
round about1in not sure if any sharp parts
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,If its been an hour, we still could have it in the stomach. Therefore, scoping is an option. Otherwise, since we don't know about sharp bits per say but know plastic can be, it would be best to use the above as I outlined for Kleo and just reduce any risk here.Take care,Dr. B.