Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Ihave a badley constipated one year old scottie

Customer Question

ihave a badley constipated one year old scottie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- Did he get into anything? 3- Is he straining to defecate? 4- How long since the last time he defecated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20lb 2 not sure 3 yes 4not sure
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth. 2- Add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food.3- As a stool softener you can give 1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 2-3 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy. 4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener. 5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter