Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I think our dog has had an allergic reaction and is not settling

I think our dog has had an allergic reaction and is not settling and is trying to itch everywhere, he has had it before and has only settled after a few hours. Is there any way to ease his frustration??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Tyrone, and thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear that Peter is dealing with this...
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
You can try over the counter regular Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1 mg per pound of body weight, every 8 hours. So, for example, if he weighs 5 lbs, you would give 5 mg of Benadryl. This would probably work best if you got the children's liquid Benadryl, as it's much easier to dose in a small dog (versus the capsules or pills)...
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl is an antihistamine that can help with potential reactions. It may cause drowsiness, but it's safe. You can also use an oatmeal shampoo, and let the lather sit on him for 5-10 minutes before rinsing, as this can help to soothe his skin and may help with the itching.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you and Peter further.Dr. Dave