Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a male collie who will be 4 in March he is severely

Customer Question

I have a male collie who will be 4 in March he is severely anxious even when "relaxed" he pants fast
I want to ask you if there is any medication I could give him to help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, there's a remarkable assortment of medications that can act as anxiolytics (anti-anxiety drugs). They include antidepressants such as the tricyclics clomipramine, amitriptyline, imipramine, and doxepin and selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as fluoxetine, paroxetine. fluvoxamine, sertraline, and citalopram. Combination therapy is also a consideration; a benzodiazepine such as diazepam or clorazepate may be administered concomitantly with the aforementioned drugs. All of these drugs must be prescribed by Doug's vet and, preferably, by a specialist veterinary behaviorist such as can be found here: www.apbc.org.uk who has studied Doug and can tailor drug therapy for Doug's type(s) of anxiety.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I have looked on the website you suggested but the only person on it within a reasonable distance to us I have already seen and she is only a trainer not a vet. I intend to take Doug to the vet next week as there appear to be lots of medications available I wonder if you could offer any suggestions in terms of which ones I should ask about. Our previous vet would not entertain medication for anxiety and made me feel as if \i was somehow a bad owner for even asking..so this has made me a little reluctant to go in with no idea.
I understand. Drug therapy concomitant with behavioral reconditioning can be quite valuable. Just as in people, drugs may be necessary to treat the profound symptoms of anxiety before my patient can settle to the point of understanding the reconditioning process. Commonly prescribed anxiolytics include clomipramine (there's a veterinary drug called Clomicalm but the human generic is less expensive) and fluoxetine (there's a veterinary drug called Reconcile but the human generic is less expensive). Benzodiazepines such as I mentioned may not be available in the UK; please consult with Doug's vet about this type of drug. They're particularly useful for impending stressful events such as thunderstorms.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.