Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been abnormally quiet all day , has been off his

My dog has been abnormally quiet all day , has been off his food and won't take water. In the last half an hour he has been shaking on and off he's a two year old staffubull. Do I need to be overalls concerned,Thanks
amanda
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Amanda. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not eaten anything out of the ordinary we know about no vomiting or diarrehea. Not able to take temperature and no other symptoms apart from him being lethargic
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is he walking any different like an arch back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not so I've noticed we walked him this morning and he didn't run around like he normally does
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Amanda, Murphy being lethargic and anorexic are very non specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. The fact that he is shaking and is a young dog possible common causes are: A fever, infections, neuromuscular or abdominal pain, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause on history alone it will be very difficult. Murphy will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll take him to the local vets once they are open again
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough.