nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chihauhau is lathargic and has been sneezing last few days.

Customer Question

My chihauhau is lathargic and has been sneezing last few days. Noticed this morning he is red and inflamed around his anus. He has been scratching the area and is either agitated or in pain. Could this be serious?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I'm Dr. B and would like to help you today.
Now these two signs are likely unrelated. The sneezing could be related to a bit of flu, allergies, or something caught up his nose ( though the usually have one sided nasal discharge with that). Where the inflamed anus is likely related to anal gland issues or allergic dermatitis.
Now as long as he can get comfortable, this isn't an emergency. But if he is very sore, then we'd want this checked for him so the glands can be expressed. At the same time, his vet can check that the sneezing is nothing serious and treat for that too. Depending on their findings, he may just need the glands expressed, antibiotics, +/- an antihistamine for any allergy concerns.
All the best,
Dr. B