nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What was the answer to the Labradoodle that ate uncooked

Customer Question

Hi, what was the answer to the Labradoodle that ate uncooked pastry?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I did post an information request to you regarding this where you posted your question @ http://www.justanswer.co.uk/dog-health/9h74h-australian-labradoodle-puppy-eaten-large-frozen-steakpie.html If you can reply to those questions here, we can discuss what we can do here.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see the information request, but:
1 the labradoodle is 15 months old
2 the incident happened about 24 hours ago
3 it was a 2lb steak pie which was being de-frosted
4 the pastry was uncooked
5 the dog has not been sick
6 the dog has tried to poo a number of times but has only produced small quantities of runny poo
7 apart from that, the dog does not appear to be in any distress and went for its normal 1 hour walk this morning
Thanks, Rod
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now I suspect you are most worried about the uncooked pastry, but this is really not an issue here. This doesn't tend to rise like uncooked bread dough, so it doesn't carry the same risk. Instead, our main concern here is that he has give himself a bit of "food bloat".Now in regards ***** ***** cases, signs we can commonly see include abdominal pain, distension, gas expulsion (via burping or farting), nausea, +/- profuse vomiting or diarrhea. Now in many cases this is often something that resolves on it's own over 24-48 hours without any specific intervention. The dogs that tend to settle without veterinary attention will be those that are not showing adverse signs due to their gluttony. So as long as he is comfortable, then we will hopefully we will see him settle and have no other issue with this. In the meantime though, since it has been 24 hours, we can try feeding him 25-50% of his normal meal size. (Once 48 hours have passed, provided all has settled, you can restart his normal feeding routine.). When offering this,since we have straining, you can add some fiber to his diet (ie canned pumpkin, Weetabix, or a 1/4th tsp of Benefiber) to help push the material through his gut. As well, since he is straining, we can add a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, liquid paraffin) to help anything causing a blockage through. Of course, if he ate anything non-edible with this (ie pie tin), then we may need an xray to see where it is and whether it will pass on its own. Overall, if your lad is fairly comfortable, then hopefully we will avoid any major adverse complications with this. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach and monitor. But if he becomes lethargic, sore, has those signs I noted before, or keeps straining despite the above, then we'd want to get his local vet involved to palpate/xray for any blockages. Otherwise, if he remains stable, we should see stomach settle and see him recover from his misadventure with gluttony. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )