Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I have a 5 month old patterdale puppy he has been fine all

Hi i have a 5 month old patterdale puppy he has been fine all day and has woken up from a nap and was fine he got hold of a small piece of mud however and ate it he has been sick twice now and keeps gagging/making a hiccup type noise is this anything to be concerened about? Thanks Tobie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question.Any time a young dog has vomiting I am at least a little concerned. Young dogs are less able to regulate their body fluid balance and can become dehydrated and/or weak faster than adult dogs. There are a few things I would consider. First, is he his normal, energetic self or is he lethargic? If you look at his gums are they pink or pale? Is his abdomen painful? If the noise he is making is just hiccups I'm not worried, but if it is something stuck in his esophagus that he is gagging on, I am worried.I would offer him a small amount of chicken broth. If he drinks it normally an holds it down then he can have a little more in 30 minutes. If he just has hiccups they should resolve in this time. If he continues the gagging noise or vomits the chicken broth back up then I would take him to a vet today. If he is doing well with the broth you can give him a little bland food (I like rice and chicken) in an hour. If he is lethargic, will not eat, or vomits it up, I would take him today also. I hope that helps, but if you have any additional questions, please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is fine in himself still has energy and still wanting to play has eaten a little and drank some water but keeps making the noise like he wants to be sick again
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I would try the small amounts of broth. You can also give dogs Pepcid A/C (famotidine 10mg). A small dog would take 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. If the wretching doesn't stop in 30 minutes or so I would take him in. The concern is that he might have something stuck in his throat triggering his gag reflex and if he keeps doing that he could end up aspirating vomit.