nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We bought a puppy , now 4 months old. The

We bought a puppy for christmas, now 4 months old.
The lady owner said he was toilet trained on paper. Didn't work for us, so went to puppy pads which works for wee time. During the day if we catch him right and let him out he does wee and poo outside. However night times are different.
We initially tried putting him in his crate/cage but he kept messing in this. We then decided to leave him the run of the kitchen with pads down. Wee's ok on pads, but poos under kitchen table. We take him out last thing at night (10.30/11) and doesn't go.
Can you advise what to do. Should he go back in the cage at night. In the cage there is room for blanket and a puppy pad.
Hope you can help and thanks in advance.
Regards, Dean
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you advise on my question please.
8 minutes wait time is now 2 hours?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
First, if he is passing stool under the table (which is a position they can sometimes take as it is more "protected" and therefore feels more safe when he is vulnerable and squatting passing stool), do make sure you have a puppy pad there. That way you are compromising but helping keep to his passing where he is supposed to go and reinforcing him to use pads to urinate or defecate on.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** nights, if we have a pup that is struggling then we do find it beneficial to crate at night and then take him out every hour overnight. It does mean some sleepless nights initially but if we start with hourly and he gets the rhythm of going outside, we can usually start to space those outings every few hours until we get him to appreciate that going outside is the right place even at night. And once we have done that, we can usually get them into a routine of going outside at bedtime and not in the house overnight.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. So to confirm you suggest we re-introduce the crate / cage, rather than free roaming of the kitchen.
And to take him out during the night. This will therefore train him to hold on and to go outside.Regards, Dean
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Dean,
I would reintroduce it but I would also note that you are essentially using the kitchen as a larger crate already. So, either could technically be used but the crate is more likely to have success with him going on the pad between outings as we train him to use outside all the time. So, crate is likely a better choice at this stage.
All the best, *****
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help, much appreciated. Looks like some sleepless nights for us!
Regards, Dean
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
It will be for a wee while, but they do tend to cotton on quickly and the long term benefits are of course worthwhile. :)
Take care,
Dr. B.