How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30386
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

I have a small medium sized dog (pyrenean sheepdog) that has

Customer Question

I have a small medium sized dog (pyrenean sheepdog) that has got hold of a packet of 6 mince pies while we were out and has eaten all six. They contain raisins and sultanas and I believe these can be dangerous. I have given her charcoal pills but that may not be the best approach - do I need to make her vomit and, if so, how?
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does she weigh? 2- Can you give me an idea of how many ounces of raisins were in the pies? 3- How long has it been since she ate it? 4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
- 11 kilos
- we have measured and estimate 75 -100 grams of raisins and sultanas in total for all 6 pies, plus 50 grams of currants/peel and 250 grams of pastry.
- probably 2-3 hours
- No, we do not have hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the lowest toxic dose for raisins in dogs is 0.11 oz/kg, this means your dog would need to ingest at least 1.2 oz to be concern about toxicity. If he ate about 100 grams (3.5 oz) of raisins this amount of raisins can potentially lead to kidney failure in your dog. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would take him to the nearest ER vet so they can induce vomiting and start him on supportive care. It is much easier to prevent kidney failure than having to treat for it. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. Is there anything we can do safely to induce vomiting
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Without hydrogen peroxide 3% there is really no other way of inducing vomiting at home safely. I am sorry. At the vet they will either use hydrogen peroxide or a medication called apomorphine. It is important to move quickly before the raisins move out of the stomach. Please reply if you have additional questions. Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Dr. Peter and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I did click on a rating on Wednesday night, but have done so again now anyway. Do please let me know if there is still an issue, and thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Hope Minx is doing fine. You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr Peter,
Things are going well with Minx. We got her to a vet during the night after receiving your recommendation. He administered apomorphine to make her sick, and since then she has seemed absolutely fine. Is there a residual risk, i.e. does the toxin potentially stay in her system long-term or can we consider her out of risk now?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, no residual risk. She is out of risk now, no need to worry. You're welcome.

Related Dog Questions