nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Having read about serious concerns relating to the inoculation

Having read about serious concerns relating to the inoculation of dogs as a protection against leptospirosis,we would value your expert opinion on having our newly acquired Yorkie cross vaccinated for this.we live in North Manchester
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** for Leptospirosis in Manchester (and at the moment anywhere that is getting heavy rains), we do want to make sure that your new pup is kept up to date. So, we'd want to ensure he has the 2 puppy vaccinations for this (as part of his core vaccine) and is kept up on this annually. This is especially important since Leptospirosis antibodies (what our immune system makes in response to the vaccine and protects against the bacteria when exposed) are not long lasting and therefore do rely on that annual vaccination to keep those antibody levels and thus protection at optimum.
Finally, since we have seen a few cases of Leptospirosis locally, many local practices are using the newer Nobivac L4 vaccine against Leptospirosis. This one is a more recently developed vaccination and has been designed to protect against the new emerging Lepto strains as well as the longer established common ones. So, using that one would be ideal for maximum protection.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply to our question on leptosporosis.Our worry is that there have been a lot of reports that small breeds are reacting very badly to this injection and also our female puppy is only nine weeks old. We have also read that the vaccination effect lasts only for a few months, and also can mask the symptoms.We should also add that we don't allow our dog off the lead except in our enclosed garden.We live in a quiet suburb of Manchester which we would not perceive to be high risk. We look forward to your reply.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,Now I have to question your research source as I vaccinate numerous puppies on a daily basis and reactions are rare (I perhaps see one a year at most). Furthermore, I can tell you that the Lepto vaccine antibodies do last longer then a few months (having tested some of my immunosuppressed patients before vaccinating) but tend to wane as we get to that year point. So it is one that should be done annually (where the infectious hepatitis portion of the core vaccine is one that could likely be spaced wider) in dogs and would not need to be done more often (which is what a lapse after a few months would require).Furthermore, I have to say that your environment is not particularly low risk. Anywhere, foxes (or rats) can gain access are areas that are potentially contaminated. This is a bacteria that is spread in the urine of these species (as well as infected dogs) and is found in standing water. So, if your dog goes anywhere those wildlife species could go or is anywhere where there is standing water (leash or not), these are risks. So, while I would say that it sounds like she is in a low risk environment for Distemper, Parainfluenza, or Infectious Hepatitis, I cannot agree that is the case for Leptospirosis.Overall, choosing what to vaccinate your dog for is an individual choice. Still, as long as she is going outside, she is at risk. If we were discussing an indoor cat, then one could decide whether to vaccinate or not (since that would be a low risk situation). But as dogs go outside, are in contact with other dogs and where other dogs have been (remember these agents do survive off host); it is highly advisable to keep them up to date on vaccination. Because at the end of the day, she is at much higher risk of getting those diseases then having any reaction to the vaccine. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )