nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has chewed some of his paw should I be concerned?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Has he broken the skin?
Any sores, ulces, red areas, or swellings?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to have eaten off some skin that has irritated him. It's wet and muddy every time we go for a walk.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a photo (so I can assess the level of damage)?
Are you seeing any bleeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it seems to have just been peeled off by him noring on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his paws are red in the middle and he seems to keep noring on them.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
If he is chewing skin but there is no blood or underlying tissue exposed, then this is less of a worry then if he had.
In that case, you will want to salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) the foot to remove any mud but also infection in the chewed area. Afterwards, dry it thoroughly, and cover the foot with a sock (since this is breathable and will let the skin dry out). If he tries to take this off, then he will need to wear an e-collar (which you can get at your vets or Pets at Home).
If you think he stepped on something irritating that he may be having an allergic reaction to, you can try him with a low dose of OTC Piriton/Chlorphenamine(4-8mg every 12 hours) to counter that. Of course, do check with his vet before use if he has any known health issues or is on any other medication.
If he settles over tonight, you can remove it and see how you go. But if he keeps chewing (a concern of irritation here or a possible foreign body lodged in the tissue), then we'd need to have this checked by his local vet tomorrow as we may need to start him on anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics.
Please take care,
Dr. B.