Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Beagle (who is 10months old now) Is trying to be sick but

Customer Question

My Beagle (who is 10months old now) Is trying to be sick but nothing comes out except every 10 times she gags. She is gagging on avwrage every 30 seconds or so and this has been going on all afternoon. She is walking around her pen wanting to come out and looking sheepish but not shivering or anything like that.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Dogs Jesse's age often get into materials that will cause a digestive disturbance or they can get something caught in their throat. Check Jesse's throat area and oral cavity as best you can for any foreign body such as a stick that could be stuck in the upper palate. If you cannot find anything, this may be the beginnings of kennel cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, your dog can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give Jessie 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of her weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so she is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Jesse to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease or a digestive issue. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou. It fits the bill for kennel cough so will go down this route unless she gets worse or it changes
Good for you...it really does sound like that. Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!!
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Jesse feels better soon!
Have a wonderful day!!