Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Seems to have a nail protruding on his back paw.he

***** ***** seems to have a nail protruding on his back paw.he will not let me get near it and he keeps on licking it Can I leave it till Monday to take him to the vet.he is still going on his walks and eating
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! The most important thing is to not allow licking. This is critical as the mouth is full of bacteria and will introduce an infection where there is none. Next, it will depend on whether there is active bleeding. If there is no active bleeding try to put a sock on the foot so that the nail is not further damages or dislodged and causes recurrent bleeding also prevent further licking as well. As long as it is not actively bleeding and you are able to place a sock on the foot you should be alright until Monday when your veterinarian can see you both. If you are unable to even put a sock on then please find a pet store that has a cone or e-collar to prevent him from being able to get to the area. If he is not using the leg, you cannot control the licking then please consider a veterinary er todayUnfortunately ideal is for your veterinarian to pull the nail and it is not recommended attempting this at home. It can be quite painful, cause a lot of bleeding, and sometimes dogs will snap while pulling with hemostats. It should always be done with two sets of handsYou can also give benadryl 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow resting comfortably If you have any remaining pain medications from any previous surgeries that would be alright to give to help with pain. I would not advise anything over the counter because it will interact with what your veterinarian might dispense for pain If the toe is actively bleeding and will allow you to do so you can try baking powder to staunch the bleeding. It is not as good as the options we have at a veterinary clinic but something often handy in the cabinet. Another options is corn syrup or flour Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!