Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Border collie 12 years old, still very active, but recently

Customer Question

Border collie 12 years old, still very active, but recently having bowel problems, on one outing has normal stool, then diarrhoea, then constipation. Has been to vet and been on anti biotic medication. I have been feeding her boiled rice with bits of chicken, but problem persists. No vomiting, no blood in stools. Any suggestion would be helpful
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. My fear for your guy is that he may be developing Inflammatory Bowel Disease or IBD. The treatment for this is anti histamines since it is related to allergies. Also, the other treatment is a hypoallergenic food such as Hills ZD or Royal canin Hypoallergenic dog food. This is very difficult to diagnose so we often will get a diagnosis based on the response to treatment. This LINK will explain in more detail. This may also be due to your gal's age. I say this because the intestinal tract, over time, is not as competent as when she were young. With this condition, probiotics can help your gal with this condition while feeding a bland diet such as Hils ID, specific for Pancreatitis but useful in older dogs. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to give her antihistamine pills?
Yes, Benadryl can be safely given at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. It is worth a try since it will not hurt her. Good luck!!
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your gal does well!
Have a wonderful day!!