Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dogs eyes pupil looks like it has "smudged" i don't know

Customer Question

My dogs eyes pupil looks like it has "smudged" i don't know what it is..?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you've had some difficulty with your pup and his eyes - I'll do my best to help. I know that it's really hard to describe what eyes look like, especially when you're not medically trained - do you think that you could post a picture? That would be very helpful.~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, yeah il try to add the lic i took last night. Its her right eye. Shes started to rub it aswell. Not constantly but a noticable amount. We have not changed her diet or done anything different that we can think of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She recently had what we believe was cherry eye in her left eye a few weeks ago but we used the method where you massage the cherry eye back into the eyelid and it worked. Previous to this ( roughly 2 months ago) the vet said she had inflammation of the eye and could not tell us how it was caused, we were given 3 different dosages of eye drops and eye ointment. About a week after the final dose of eye ointment running out the eye seemed to die down and we were ok. Now it is the center of her eye with a problem...
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the pictures and all the extra info - that's very helpful. If she's rubbing at that eye, that means it's uncomfortable for her and potentially painful. It looks to me in the picture like she has a white area on the far right side of her right eye. That could be a corneal ulcer or a corneal scar. It could also be pannus, which is an inflammatory condition that causes white or pink discoloration to the cornea - usually starting at the outer edge like that. The vet will need to do a fluorescein stain and get a closer look to tell which is going on. With corneal ulcers, she would need antibiotics, but for pannus we use steroids. The reason she should be seen again, though, is that if we use steroids on a corneal ulcer, it will cause it to get worse - so there's no way to safely tell what type of medication to use on that without checking a fluorescein stain. It might be, also, that this new appearance will give your vet enough information to diagnose her.Thanks for the pictures - let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okie thanks for your help. The eye drops she was given previous were steroids.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome. Pannus (also known as chronic superficial keratitis) is responsive to steroids and usually requires lifetime treatment. If we stop the steroids, the signs come back. It's still important that she have a fluorescein stain done at the vet to be sure of the diagnosis before you start using the drops again, though.Take care ~Dr. Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sara, just took my dog to the eye specialist again there and found out it was a tumor. She has to lose the eye and then the eye will b tested on to see if its spread. Im just praying it hasnt spread. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad that you had her looked at by the specialist! I'm sorry to hear that she's got to lose that eye but I'm so glad that you're right on top of the problem - I hope that she does well :)~Dr. Sara