Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Vet has suggested feeding 12 year old collie with

Customer Question

Vet has suggested feeding 12 year old collie with constipation, diahorrea and occasional itchy skin, (but seems to be improving in last two days) suggests strict diet of 'royal canine hypoallergenic meal and water, is there a cheaper alternative, as advised dog can eat this and absolutely nothing else for 5 weeks. Not sure whether to wait and observe bowel movements, or just go for this. Would appreciate your opinion
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Ivy. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Let me know if you still need help. I'm puzzled by the history you provided. Constipation and diarrhea aren't seen concomitantly. Are you stating that Ivy suffers from diarrhea which then remisses and she becomes constipated (or vice versa) and then the cycle repeats? Please clarify. A presumptively hypoallergenic diet is worth trying if food intolerance is thought to have arisen. While this can occur at any age and even if a dog has been eating the same food for quite some time, "occasionally itchy skin" is rarely a reason to alter a 12 year old dog's diet so dramatically. The pruritis (itchiness) of a food intolerance can't be distinguished from that caused by atopy - allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc. - and atopy is far more common than food intolerance. Itching is expected to be mostly around the extremities, face, and bum. To answer you directly, then, I would continue to "watchful wait" unless Ivy has been chronically pruritic in those areas and her gastrointestinal tract has also been chronically distressed.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.