nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

One of my dogs, a 9 year old male has developed a small pink

One of my dogs, a 9 year old male has developed a small pink bobbly wart (?). Its maybe the size of a pea. I am not sure how long it has been there but found it a week or so ago. He is scratching at it and has made it a bit crusty. He also has been scratching and seems to have scaly, scabby skin in the vicinity of the wart. Not sure if this is just from scratching or something else is causing this. He is not scratching constantly, just every now and then. They have under gone a bit of a change of diet around 6 weeks ago as we moved house and used to be able to feed mainly raw (chicken carcasses, meat, bones) but now it is more difficult to find here so they are back on tinned food more often and dried biscuits. He also seems to have become fussier with his food of late.
Another dog, around 9 and half, seems to have a squashy lump on her side, almost on top of her ribs. It does not stick out and is maybe the size of a marble and I can only feel it if I stroke her quite hard. She has a mother fluid filled lump further down that she has had since a young dog and a biopsy of that years ago showed it really had nothing in it and was nothing to worry about.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I would note that warts do tend to cause occasional itchiness due to the irritation of the skin being stretched on it. And if he is scratching, then that can lead to secondary local skin changes. In regards ***** ***** this, we do remove them if they are causing bother but it is a cosmetic procedure. Otherwise, we can salt water bathe the skin +/- apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe that itch for him.
Otherwise (while I do have to note that website policy does request a new question per pet question), I will briefly touch on this other dog's lump for you. Based on your description, this just sounds like a fatty lipoma. These don't tend to be a worry unless they grow big enough to bother the dog. In this case, as long as she is well in herself and fussed about it, we'd just want to monitor it and plan to have her local vet take a needle aspiration sample from it at her next booster. That way you can confirm if there is anything else there that may warrant removal.
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I can't take a good picture of the wart but found one online. Its just on his shoulder.
Can I use human hydrocortisone cream on it? I have started to bathe in salt water.Another looks a bit like the second image - dark brown, with slight raised area. Again its not big, maybe half a centimetre and just in the arm pit area. Been there a little while and does not seem to have grown and does not itch.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You can use OTC human hydrocortisone. So no worries there.
The first example dies look like a wart, so we can use the above and would only remove if it continued to bother him. That said, we need to monitor a dark one lime the second example. If it grows at all we would want it tested since we can see melanomas and sometimes mast cells tumors appear that way.
Dr. B
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.