Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 10 month old staffy pup since she has been spayed has started

Customer Question

My 10 month old staffy pup since she has been spayed has started eating other dog poo when out walking any help you can give me
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this not so pleasant act that Saffie is doing. This eating of the other dogs stools isn't something that was caused by her being spayed. More than likely the eating of the other dogs stools is something that is something that she's just now found she likes to do. They eat other animals stools (dogs, cats, birds, deer, rabbit, etc..) as they like taste and texture of it. The best thing you can do to stop / prevent this is to have her on a leash when walking so her access to it is limited. You can correct her with a leash tug if she gets near the stools. There are products to put on her food to discourage her from eating her own stools, but this won't help here. You could put hot sauce on the stools to provide an unpleasant stimulus to eating the stool, but you're not going to really be able to do this to the stools found on walks all the time.