Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our pug dog who is 10 months old has a bald pink patch on

Customer Question

Our pug dog who is 10 months old has a bald pink patch on his head and itches all over all the time. his hair loss has been since he was neutered and he was sick for over 3 weeks after. it has been suggested he may have mange. we our very worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Demodectic mange is certainly a concern but usually isn't so pruritic (itchy). Sarcoptic mange is intensely pruritic but most often appears on the lateral ear margins and elbows before it generalizes to the rest of the body. A superficial spreading pyoderma (Staph infection, usually) needs to be considered as well. Pugys's vet needs to perform skin scrapings in an attempt to find mange mites and a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of his affected skin surface) looking for abnormal numbers of either bacteria or yeast should be performed as well. Can you upload a photo(s) of that patch to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attached some pictures of the main hair loss areas and forgot to mention there are also some small lumps on his skin that feel like fleas but are actually under the skin.
Thank you! Those patches are most indicative of demodicosis. Skin scrapings should reveal the mange mite Demodex. Such a mild case in a 10 month old might not be treated because most cases of juvenile demodicosis remiss unaided within a few months. I regret that I can't assess those "lumps" from here but his vet can check those when skin scrapings are taken. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help. Would you recommend tea tree oil shampoo for some relief?
You're quite welcome. Please avoid tea tree oil. It contains terpenes which when ingested can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, hepatotoxicity, and aspiration pneumonia. Dermally it can cause paresis (weakness), ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and hypothermia lasting 1-3 days. These symptoms are more commonly seen in cats and small dogs. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.