Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I think my dog has mange the fur between his ear and eye has

Customer Question

I think my dog has mange the fur between his ear and eye has a round patch that has no fur. He is scratching and also licking his left paw, drinking a lot more water than usual
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There appears to be more than one disorder that has arisen concomitantly. While adult-onset demodectic mange is a consideration, it's not as common a finding as trauma that became secondarily bacterially infected (he may have excoriated that area by scratching it), a focal pyoderma (Staph infection, usually), or, less commonly, a yeast infection. Can you upload a photo(s) of this skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ His general itching and paw licking (as well as scratching at his face) is consistent with atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) in a ***** ***** and food intolerance needs to be on my differential diagnosis list as well because the symptoms of atopy and food intolerance are identical. Atopy is far more common in Togger's breed, however. I'm primarily concerned with his polydipsia (increased thirst). At 9 years of age, polydipsia can arise as a symptom of both renal and hepatic insufficiency, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease - both would also cause polyphagia/increased hunger - urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, hypercalcemia (elevated serum calcium level), and the rarer diabetes insipidus and Addison's disease.Togger's vet will want to thoroughly examine Togger including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify why Togger is polydipsic. The testing is best done after Togger has been fasted for at least 4 hours. Water should always be available, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.