Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I think my dog has mange he has a round patch that is bald

Customer Question

I think my dog has mange he has a round patch that is bald and itching between his left ear and eye. He is also licking his left paw. Drinking more water than usual l also have another dog both are ***** *****. They are about 8 or 9 years old. Regular washing of bedding and blankets can you help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Toddger. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Dr Jo thank you for thinking about my dogs problem he is normally in very good health we were given him about 7 years ago. Toddger has just been like this for two days. He loves his walks but seems dismissed from the itching at the moment. I have another ***** ***** but don't want to have 2 poorly dogs.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Hello... glad you're there. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
The really tricky thing about the situation you are describing is that there are multiple different types of problems that can all have the same appearance when it comes to itchy patches of hairloss. Mange, ringworm, allergies, skin infections.... they all can look the same. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
And, of course, you'll only get improvement if you're treating the correct disease. Your vet can do simple diagnostic tests to determine which disease is most likely the cause, and that's the most efficient route to the best form of treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Additionally, the most effective forms of treatment for these types of skin problems are prescription products. That's another reason that in cases like this I don't advise wasting time or money with home remedies. Your best bet for a speedy recovery is to take him to the vet. Additionally, it's important to keep in mind that some of these problems are contagious and can spread to other pets and even people in the household. It would be prudent to separate the dogs and wash very thoroughly after handling your dogs, particularly if you touch the affected area. Does this help to answer your question today?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply as there are two types of mange I will take him to the vet on Monday for skin samples so he can be treated. Thank you for your advise
Barbara
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Sounds like a good plan. Yes, things to expect on Monday in order to determine what the cause of this hairloss is include:thorough physical examskin scrapefungal cultureYou should be able to walk out of there the same day with a good treatment plan and be on the road to recovery.Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for all your help
Barbara
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
I'm happy to help, thank you. Please do take a moment to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I receive credit for helping you today. I'll be hopeful for a quick solution to the problem in the meantime.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how things are going with Toddger.Thank you, ***** *****