Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My Yorkshire terrier is vomiting and has loose bloody stool

Customer Question

hi my Yorkshire terrier is vomiting and has loose bloody stool been like that for 2 days hasent eaten just paid a £241 vet bill last week for the same problem can you help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Molly. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first if you don't mind: 1. Was she sent home last week on any medication? Do you still have any left?2. Can you tell me the color of her gums?3. Is there a lot of blood or is there a small amount mixed in with her stools?4. Is she lethargic?
Normal
0
false
false
false
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her gums are pink some blood in stools she is a bit lethargic I was given worming medicine 1x3 sachets of panacur 1.8 g
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what do you think?? mr chris gibb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Chris,Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to take phone calls and hope that this format is acceptable to you. If that's the case, then please give me a few minutes to type a response My apologies for the inconvenience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks chris
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Chris,Thanks for the answers to my questions although I'm sorry about the nonsense text; I seem to be having a problem with the site. Gum color is normal which is good as is the fact that she's not producing a profuse amount of blood in her stools. While blood can be alarming, it doesn't necessarily have to be concerning unless there's a great deal of it. I'm not surprised that she might be a little lethargic if she hasn't eaten for two days and since she has gastrointestinal issues of this sort. I'm assuming that your vet thought that internal parasites were responsible for her symptoms last week and this is certainly one reason why she might have these signs; however, most of these patients are still eating and they aren't lethargic.So, I'd have to wonder if perhaps something else might be going on such as pancreatitis or Inflammatory Bowel Disease. But, regardless, the following are my suggestions as to how you can treat her now: 1. First and foremost, we need to try and get the vomiting under control. Towards that end, over the counter Pepcid AC can be given at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day. 2. While she's still nauseous, I wouldn't try to feed her for 8-12 more hours, but I do worry about hypoglycemia in these small dogs who don't eat. So, I'd rub a small amount of honey or pancake syrup on her gums every 2-3 hours if she won't eat it. 3. Keep her hydrated is going to be important but if she's really nauseous, she shouldn't drink a large amount at one time (if she's still drinking, that is). I'd offer her pedialyte which is an excellent option in this situation since it can help to replace electrolytes lost. If she's not drinking on her own, then use a small turkey baster or a syringe (or even an eye dropper) to dribble fluids into the side of her mouth.Fluid requirements for a hydrated dog are one ounce per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period to give you an idea of how much she needs; obviously, dehydrated patients will require more. 4. If her vomiting appears to be controlled, then offer her a very small amount at one time of a bland diet of boneless, skinless, boiled chicken breast and boiled 20-minute white rice. This food can also be mixed in a blender with pedialyte into a soupy consistency and dribbled into her mouth with the aforementioned syringe or turkey baster. 5. If her vomiting is under control, then the diarrhea can be addressed, but only then. Pepto Bismol can be given as long as she's notvomiting and isn’t currently taking any steroids or anti-inflammatory drugs. The dose would be 1 teaspoon per 5-10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day. This drug can discolor the feces to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach. 6. Add a probiotic to the diet such as FortiFlora, ProViable, or ProstoraMax or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online. If she continues to vomit and/or has diarrhea and/or doesn't want to eat, then, unfortunately, a recheck visit to the vet's may be prudent. She may need more intensive treatment than can be provided for her at home or with just worming her. I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Chris:
I'm just following up on Molly. How is she doing? Deb