Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

We are thinking of buying a three year old female English bulldog,

Customer Question

we are thinking of buying a three year old female English bulldog, we have spoken to the present owner who tells us that they have to feed her butchers loaf type food as she suffers with the runs when fed tripe other types of food including table scraps table scraps our question is this common in bulldogs or are we likely to have expensive vet bills
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I would say it isn't uncommon to have any dog have loose stools when fed table scraps. Table scraps for the most part are a rich source of carbohydrates that they aren't typically used to. The best thing for a dog is to be on a well balanced dog food that they like and have normal intestinal activity with. I wouldn't say that what you're describing right now equates to a dog that will likely have expensive vet bills based on that dietary situation. Finding the right food and sticking with it should be what is needed there. On the other hand, English bulldogs can be a little more expensive breed of dog as they seem to have more allergies, skin issues and breathing issues.