Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

HAve just got back from walking my cocker spaniel and he

Hi hAve just got back from walking my cocker spaniel and he is now constantly licking his nose, looks like he has a severe case of hiccups and has been sick bringing up loads of white foam. He fell in the river whilst we were out and it's minus 2 here at the moment. I have dried him off and tries to keep him warm but do I need to get him to a vet? I'm concerned that he may have eaten something whilst we were out and he's been poisoned. Any help please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry for this concern for Fletcher. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind: 1. Can you tell me the color of his gums?2. Does he still seemed chilled form his fall in the river?3. What sort of poison or toxic substances might he have encountered on your walk?4. Any other signs such as balance issues or respiratory distress?There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi his gums look black around his teeth and up towards the top they turn pink again. He doesn't seem cold or chilled and he isn't shaking now and a bit calmer. He could have eaten anything as I walk them on waste ground but I know there is waste food around along with General rubbish and fishing equipment. His breathing seems normal but he's obviously in some distress
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a pure black dog if that helps with the colour of his gums
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions. Gum color sounds normal since they should be pink. The black is probably pigment and nothing to worry about. Obviously, it's going to be really tough to know if he ate something which might pose a significant issue for him; however, if there's even the slightest possibility that he could have eaten something toxic or poisonous, then I'd not wait to have him seen. It's much better to be safe than sorry in these sorts of situations. But, it's also possible that he just ate something which is causing mild gastric distress such that over the counter Pepcid AC may help settle things down a bit. The dose would be 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day.I wouldn't offer him any food or treats or anything to eat for at least several more hours. If he appears fairly stable and doesn't appear nauseous then offer him a small amount of a bland diet such as boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and boiled 20-minute white rice..but only a small amount at one time.I'd limit the amount of water that he's allowed to drink as well; just give everything a chance to settle down. If he only ingested something which tasted bad or noxious, then his behavior may settle down in a bit. If you haven't already done so, I'd flush out his mouth with water several times. I hope this helps and that he's feeling better soon. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll try and settle him down and see how he goes
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome.Please keep me posted, if you have a chance; I'd like to know how he does. Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can continue to communicate about this issue at no additional charge to you. Best of luck with him. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.I'll look forward to updates when you have the time. Kind regards, Deb