Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

We have a Bichion he is 8 we took him to the PDSAin Margate

We have a Bichion he is 8 we took him to the PDSAin Margate on Tuesday about 5 O'clock he had not pooed since Saturday they gave him an ennama only a small one, gave us a little bit of liquid paraffin to give him that twice a day every time I give it to him he's sick, still trying to poo up to about 10 O'clock I went to bed about 10 30 my husband covered him up with a blanket by our bed, have just woken up and cannot seem to rouse him he's very flat, I don't know what to do, he has only had a saucer of milk this afternoon, as I thought it would be more nutritious for him, I'm worried he is dehydrated. Could you advise me what to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that your little one is ill - I will do my best to help. Young small breed puppies are notorious for becoming hypoglycemic (having a low blood sugar) when they are ill or stressed or don't eat well. I would suggest placing the most sugary thing you've got available on his gums ASAP - corn syrup, karo syrup, maple syrup, or sugar water. They can absorb the sugar through their gums so it's not entirely necessary that he swallow. If he rouses enough to eat, I would offer him a snack (most hypoglycemic pups are ravenous when they awake). If you've got a high calorie supplement like Nutrical on hand, I would offer that. Some breeders send all their new puppies with a high calorie supplement. He's probably metabolized all of the milk he drank earlier and is in need of more fuel for his metabolism. If it's at all possible for you to get him to a veterinary emergency hospital ASAP, that would be the absolute best thing for him. If that's not possible, continue supplementing him with the sugary syrup or high calorie supplement every 30-60 minutes until he's up and eating on his own or you can get him to the vet. Also, be sure to keep him warm - his rectal temperature should stay between 98.5 and 101. If he's too chilled, then you can use a heating pad or hot water bottle in his bed or even blow a hair dryer into his blankets - just be sure not to allow the heating sources to come into direct contact with his skin or get too hot.Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.