Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 month old Cairn Terrier keeps being sick(last 6 hors)

My 8 month old Cairn Terrier keeps being sick(last 6 hors) her stomach is now empty and all that comes up is white froth the last 2 or 3 times. I've lifted her food and left her with water anything else I should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she lethargic? 2- How long since the last time she vomited? 3- How long has she been without food? 4- How much does she weigh? 5- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not lethargic but standoffish,
about 1 hour, - sorry make that right now
4 hours,
6 kilos,
she had a piece of paddy whack this afternoon and that came up first.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours or Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll give that a try
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.