Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs tummy is gurgling like mad she is digging into sofa

Customer Question

Hi my dogs tummy is gurgling like mad she is digging into sofa she has had these problems before she is on a diet of white fish and potato recommended by vets I gave her zantac at five but still not right worrying dont know what to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting or diarrhea? 2- Is she eating and drinking? 3- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a solid poo before it started shes just had tiny bit of water not much its really loud and she seems uncomfortable she weighs about 5.25
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
5.25 lbs or kg?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kg I think she small dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One minute she ok then this flares up
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the gurgling noise you are hearing is the smooth muscle contraction in the gastrointestinal tract and gas; this is very common when the patient is not eating much. I would recommend you try to force feed her, if possible blend the food and give it to her with a dropper or turkey baster. In addition, you can start her on Simethicone (gas x) 20-30mg every 6-8 hours. You can buy Gas x (simethicone) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). If no improvement after doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She wont eat anything and shops are shut I have given her zantec prescribed by vets but doesn't seem to have done anyting
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You are hearing the gurgling noises because she is not eating. The Zantac is an acid reducer, it is not going to do much for the gas. Simethicone is a medication for gas. But, it is also important to force feed her. If you can not force feed her then her lack of appetite may be related to an underlying medical problem and she should be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please reply if you have additional questions. Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate fine yesterday just today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Start her on the Gas x (simethicone) and let's see if that would help.