Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 9 year old patterdale terrier. Brambles really

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 9 year old patterdale terrier. Brambles really not well now mate. won't move off the sofa and constantly shaking. His guts are bubbling like mad as well. Had him out for walk earlier and was just plodding along which isn't like him in the slightest.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was also trying to eat grass when out as well
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Bramble's symptoms of lethargy, shaking (a pain response), borborygymus (the sounds of fluid and gas moving through a hypermotile bowel) and eating grass (a behavior of evolutionary benefit because it often results in vomiting which empties the stomach of nondigestibles and infectious agents) are important symptoms but they don't tell us the etiology of those symptoms. Bramble may be experiencing the gastrointestinal distress seen with simple dietary indiscretion - eating something new to him, spoiled, a non-food item - or may represent more serious major organ disorders such as pancreatitis, hepatitis, or nephritis. I'm willing to "watchful wait" such a patient for 12 hours to see if he remisses unaided but if you didn't see a positive change in that time frame or, indeed, he worsened, his vet will need to take a good look at him and perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and either X-rays or ultrasound of his abdomen. Fasting him at this time is smart if only to rest his GI tract. I wouldn't administer remedies such as PeptoBismol or PepcidTwo at this time. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Bramble, please?
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.