Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have an 8 year old springer/cocker cross who has recently

Customer Question

Hi. I have an 8 year old springer/cocker cross who has recently been losing weight. Just back from vets and had bloods tested and he's slightly anemic, and high calcium levels. Can't get booked in for scan til Monday, and the vet is suspecting tumour of sorts, may I have your thoughts? I'm sitting here breaking my heart. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Can you upload a copy of all of your dog's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I understand your concern at this time. Mild nonregenerative anemia (he would be unable to replace the red blood cells he lacks) plus hypercalcemia is often associated with neoplasia in the form of lymphoma (most important differential diagnosis) and adenocarcinomas. Renal failure and primary hyperparathyroid need to be considered as well; hence, the need for me to review all of his test results. I not only review the results but also note which testing wasn't performed but needs to be. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.