nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can a dog take piriteze liquid?

can a dog take piriteze for children liquid?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** question, they certainly can. Now Piriteze children's liquid is usually cetirizine at a dose of 1 milligram per millilitre. If this is what you have on hand, then we can give a dose of 0.5-1 millilitre per kilogram of their weight every 12-24 hours.
If you have a different preparation, just let me know what the active antihistamine in it is, what the strength (the mg/ml), and your dog's weight and we can work that dose out for you.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the quick response :) it does contain cetirizine hydrochloride. and yes 1ml is 1mg.
she weighs appox 15-16kg.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!
That is the one we usually dispense for our small patients. Though just to note, if she is ~15kg, you may find it easier to use tablets with her. For example, you could give 7.5-15mg using the OTC 10mg Cetirizine tablet (or start with one since its a mid range dose). Though as long as she is amenable either is just fine and should have the same effects for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes well I cant find a syringe now anyway. I do have sainsburys own hayfever and allergy relief tablets. which says its contains 10mg of cetirizine hydrochloride. also lactose? been a bit funny with giving her them though. or whetehr to just give it her off a medicine spoon
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Either should be fine. A bit of lactose won't be a problem; unless she is very sensitive to it. Its the protein in milk that gives dogs diarrhea when they have too much. So, either is an option and fine to use for her.
All the best,
Dr. B.
*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
.
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.