Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My maltese is shaking uncontrollably the last half

My maltese is shaking uncontrollably for about the last half hour. A minute of quite vigorous shaking and then a lull of a few minutes with some gentle movement. He received an injection from his vet this morning for a skin allergy he has around his paws. We also gave him tablets earlier this afternoon that the vet gave us.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Toby. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Jo.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Glad you're there. While it's important to emphasize that it's illegal, unethical, and a violation of the terms of use of this website for any vet to offer a diagnosis online, I want to ask you if you've ever heard of white shaker dog syndrome?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
That's the first thing to come to mind when I read your description of what Toby is doing. You can learn more about it here...http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_shaker_syndrome
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Other things to consider are seizures or possible toxicities. Those would both cause him to be alarmingly affected in a very short amount of time and clearly in an emergency state. Constant tremors but otherwise acting okay is more typical of Shaker Dog Syndrome.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Interestingly enough, if this is WSDS, Toby's trip to the vet this afternoon and medications would just be a coincidence.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Is Toby arousable? Is he alert and responsive when you try to get him to take a treat or offer a car ride or other favorite thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HIs vision seems to be poor as well in the last fifteen minutes though he is moving around more easily now.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Did he drool a bunch, vomit, have diarrhea, or urinate during the episode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some drooling but none of the others.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
And is he still shaking, or has that subsided?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as bad as before but it is still following the original pattern of quite rigorous shaking and then a lull with gentle movement.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It is still possible this is a type of seizure behavior. Because of that possibility, the safest recommendation I can make is for you to take him to your closest emergency vet. If this is a seizure, you won't want to wait to get treatment for him. I'm sorry. I wish I had better news for you, but it's better to be safe than sorry in a situation like this, especially with such a tiny dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do for him to help?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I know it's awful to feel this helpless, but if this is a seizure, there isn't any help you can give him at home. All you can do is keep him as comfortable as possible and prevent him from hurting himself by falling. He needs medical attention.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that he gets better quickly. Thank you for using our website.