Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Dog with diarrhoea, no sickness. Started last evening. Still

Dog with diarrhoea, no sickness. Started last evening. Still had appetite and behaving normally until an hour ago. Now lethargic. Still no vomiting, no apparent pain or discomfort. temperature 38.7
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bwana. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If you check his gums, are they pink in color? Or pale? He probably is drinking more to make up for fluid he is losing in the diarrhea, so as long as he is not vomiting let him drink as much as he wants.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are normal in colour - pink and black
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can try giving him something for diarrhea like Pepto Bismal (bismuth subsalicylate) or Imodium (loperamide). How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
55 kg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal for him to have become lethargic this past hour or so after behaving normally?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
He could take about 1/4th of the dose on the label for an adult of one of these products if they are available over the counter there as they are in the U.S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the lethargy?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Lethargy could be from loss of electolytes in the diarrhea, or if he is developing a fever. It would be best if a veterinarian could examine him.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Let me know how he is doing.